Monday, February 21, 2011

those fabulous 50s

I had to go to school today, even though it's a holiday. How lame is that?
It's because of our snow day... We hardly got like two inches of snow and the world practically ended. Ah, Texas.
Anyways, today was an okay day. I am on the verge of taking an Advil PM and clocking out for the night.
When Ethan and I got to school we went to our chemistry class so that he could make up a quiz and I could do the homework. Boring, definitely. 
First block went by pretty fast, we graded our history test over World War 2. I got a freaking 78. Not cool. I hate how I feel so confident about a test and then the next thing I know I'm looking at my grade and thinking 'What the hell was I doing? Was I conscious when I took this?' But I did pass, which is always good. My parents aren't really strict with grades but since they're my parents they feel like they should set some kind of standard: Make sure you pass. So whenever I do get a disappointing -but above failing- grade, I know that it is only disappointing to me. At least I hope so. But I think the worst is when people ask you later what grade you got. 'What'd you get on the history test? I got a 100!' 
.....
'I got a 78.'
That's what always gets me. Honestly, I don't care about your amazing grade right now. Nor will I ever. Now go home and show your parents how awesome you are so that they'll go buy you a car, okay?

Second block was productive in the sense that I finished my chemistry homework. I didn't do any work for the actual class, though. Kyle was sitting next to me watching YouTube videos of people playing video games (which is sad on so many levels), and our teacher told him to get to work. Rohan (whom I know is reading this), was also doing things unrelated to our class, and he too ended up being told to get to work. The whole time this was happening, I was doing homework. There was clearly no activity on my computer screen. Somehow my teacher did not see that for the entire hour and a half we were in class. But don't get me wrong, this is no complaint right here.
We had to take a released TAKS test during third block. It was a combination of chemistry, biology, and physics.
  1. I'm still of the process of learning chemistry.
  2. I failed the first semester of biology and just barely passed for the year
  3. I haven't even taken physics. And I don't even plan to.
Despite everything, it was pretty easy. Or so I thought; my teacher will probably announce that only one person failed and I'll end up being that person. That would suck! I'm so pessimistic, jeez.
Ethan took me to Which Wich for lunch and, like a gentleman, paid for my food. He's so sweet.
Fourth block was okay. I was really annoyed with people in general by then so I decided to stay quiet for most of the class. All in all, it was a really easy class. Thankfully.

When Ethan picked me up after school he took me to an empty parking lot... AND TRIED KILL ME.
Meaning that he was teaching me stick shift. I'm assuming that I'll get a car when I get my license (I should probably talk to my parents about this) so I'm wanting to see if I should get a manual or an automatic. By the looks of today, probably an automatic. Which I'm fine with, I think more than anything I'd just like to be able to know stick shift for just-in-case situations. They do happen! I'm not just super paranoid... (I am the most paranoid person ever.) I have been told that is a good skill to have and I know that my stepmom wants me to learn, but without her teaching me herself. Oh parents.

After that Ethan and I went to his house and shortly after I found myself falling asleep on his arm. So so so tired! It's crazy. As a high school kid, I don't even have to go through a whole school week before becoming totally exhausted. All day, everyday, people shoving pretty useless information down your throat and expecting you to know it after one day of practice because oh guess what? there's a test next time! Yeah, very uncool. People always talk about how energetic kids are supposed to be. Hey, people, times have changed and they're still changing. It's not the same from when you were my age, I promise. Your generation's stories start out like 'Well when we were kids, we hopped on this train.....' My generation's stories start out with 'So I was texting him and like...'
Do you see the difference? Man, I hope so. I'm honestly not proud of this. I wish that I was able to cherish things besides material. It's not like I can't live without my phone or I can't be away from laptop for more than two seconds, but there are plenty of people out there that feel that way. It's sad. And I don't mean sad as a joke, I truly think that there are so many wasted things in this world that are right in front of us all. When will we ever learn?
Sometimes I feel like I should have been born in the 50s, and died before seeing youth turn into what it has.

I could have been a part of this group. We would go to awesome dances and I would share a milkshake with Ethan with two straws in it (Ethan would be the guy on the left and I'd be the chick on the far left, considering I am that short).
Speaking of which, would anyone like to know the modern-day 'milkshake'? Of course you want to know, you're reading this for a reason. True story right here: Ethan and I were at Kerbey Lane Cafe with a few friends , and we decided to drink through each other's ears. We both have gauged ears and they're big enough to stick a straw through, so that's what we did. Romantic, I know. We received bewildered stares from a woman at another table, which is really rude, but I can't say I blame her. That's not something you see everyday. Or at least it shouldn't be.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with the whole "I should've been born in the 50's" thing. I wish we hopped trains and said things like "neat-o!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously! I feel like everything was better then. even the way they dressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! Thankfully some of it's coming back in style. You know the movie the notebook? I swear every article of clothing that allie wears, I want. I would go back in time just to wear those clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes!! oh my goodness. she has a pair of shoes in that movie that are to die for. I love her clothes. I'm bringing that movie the next time we hangout, for sure.

    ReplyDelete